CARD rheumatology at St Vincent’s University Hospital is a EULAR Centre of Excellence for research and education. Our main focus is on patients with early, inflammatory arthritis eg. rheumatoid / psoriatic and vasculitis eg. Giant Cell Arteritis. We aim to provide patients with state-of-the-art treatment and information about their conditions.
Our key scientific focus is on understanding mechanisms of inflammation, metabolism and joint damage with a view to providing the most relevant treatment to individual patients.
Our current projects focus on
- biomarkers to identify ‘at risk’ subjects and who will develop severe disease,
- Treat-to-target aiming for complete remission,
- Develop new and better treatments for patients
- identify new molecules involves in inflammatory arthritis, using novel models in the laboratory
- pre-clinical proof of concept studies in collaboration with industry partners,
- Cutting edge technology including genetics, proteomics and transcriptomics to identify potential new targets
- Imaging techniques to examine inflammation and metabolism in the joints e.g. PET/CT and MRI